- Vocabulary plays an important role in framing a good grade essay. so to get high grade in essay writing (i.e. task 2) , it is quite essential to focus on vocab as it contributes 25% of your total IELTS essay writing score.
- However, mostly IELTS students have downloaded long lists of words without having seen them used in context and even they do not know how to use in a correct way.
- Vocabulary plays an essential role not only in writing but also in reading; Academic reading has three long passages and in totals 40 questions. Ample words are used in English language and it is important task for everyone to have knowledge about each word.
- Moreover, to get good bands, it is advised to learn proper vocabulary. Basically , it is suggested that besides focusing on grabbing strange and difficult words,IELTS learner must focus on examining the word in context, together with learning word forms ( verbs,Noun,countable,uncountable,…) collections related to these words followed by which adjectives ,verbs or Nouns…).
- During writing, a variety of essays are asked and some questions require you to write a descriptive essay where as others ask to give your opinion.
- Varies types of essay topics are covered from a wide range of subjects like technology,finance,government,tourism and so on. That why your vocabulary ought to be specific and relevant to the provided topic.
Some important points for improving vocabulary in the effective way;
- Practice and practice:
- Important words should be noted during writing, reading, speaking and on daily basis check your vocab and make sure your words stick in your long-term memory. During watching movies or videos, it is important to make concentration on conversations or dialogues and use such vocab on your day to day life.
- When someone get a new word, mention it on his or her notebook with traits or characteristics of that word and even use such vocab in your sentence. Also, find the synonyms and antonyms of that word and make different sentences on it.
- It is often seen that in reading passages synonyms are used that always confuse the IELTS learner to get the correct answers. So if vacab practice is done by students, they can get good score in IELTS easily.
- Maintain notebook:
Using notebook may be a great idea to improve the vocab.It provides systematic approach not only to reviewing but also to recording specific as well as significant words. IELTS learner should be encouraged to keep a vocabulary notebook. If students maintain notebook properly, they might improve their ILETS result easily.
- Firstly, students should analyze about their interesting reading material. It could be newspaper, story, novels or other worth stuff. It is often seen that vocab and grammar can be improved if English written text is observed by the students. Think for a while and find the book that you have interest and while reading such book keep eye on important vocab and use such words in your day to day life.
- Moreover, the sentence structure should be observed properly as it improves not only vocab but also grammar part. Mostly student get less score in essay writing due to lack of If such students had focused on vocab,their writing score would have been increased.
- During reading, pay close attention to vocab that you are not familiar and try to find different meaning .Best idea to learn word from context so try to find the interesting reading material and find the vocab .
(4)Be an active listener:
- Similar to reading, listening plays vital role to improve vocab.It is often observed that if important words are pointed out during listening time by students, their vocab may be improved easily.
- So during listening, pay close attention to words and try to find meaning of it. Mostly students improve their vocab if they pay attention on words during listening.
- The more a memory is used, the more it will endure. So it is vital to engage in active repetition and usage. This is where you get to play with your new words.
- Cramming a vocab will not help you if you promptly forget it. In recent survey it has found that a word can be part of your vocabulary only if it takes 15-20 times repetitions.
- Based on the spaced repetition, if students want to make good hold on vocab, they can use word on daily basis for couple of weeks.
(6)Beside one word – think collocations and phrases
During IELTS exam, it has seen that those students, who have great hold on group of words and phrases, do not face problem and they easily do the exam with good score, while such students who follow one vocabulary learning tip always face difficulty as lot of synonyms are used in exam. Make sure, student must use groups of words.